First Photo Contest From Eye to Eye
Hidden Universes at McGill
Call for Photographs
Date: November 15, 2019
Location: McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Extended Deadline: October 24, 2019, 5:00 PM (ET)
Are you having great new experiences in your student or work life in the LLC and EAS departments? Are you interested in what diversity and equity in university spaces look like? Are you willing to capture the multicultural and multilingual nature of the LLC department? Are you motivated in reflecting about hidden cultural and ethnic biases of mainstream academic environments?
The LLC Diversity and Equity Committee invites you to participate in its First Photo Contest and Exhibition “From Eye to Eye. Hidden Universes at McGill,” which will be held on Friday, November 15 in 688 Sherbrooke W., McGill University.
Please send us your photos of how you experience or interpret diversity, equity, and inclusion inside and outside LLC and EAS in McGill and Montreal. Submitted pictures can be lifestyle or spontaneous snapshots, as well as staged compositions, either in studio or outdoors.
Share your experience and participate for the chance to win great prizes!
Grand prize winner plus one in each category: Undergraduate Students / Graduate Students / Faculty and Staff
Categories and Eligibility
Our first Photo Contest is open to:
Undergraduate Category: All undergraduate students registered in at least one course offered by the Languages, Literatures, and Cultures or the East Asian Studies departments during the Fall 2019 term.
Graduate Category: All LLC and EAS graduate students currently registered at McGill.
Faculty / Staff Category: All members of the LLC and EAS Faculty and Staff.
You may submit a maximum of three (3) photos for consideration.
Themes (Included, but not limited to)
1. New experiences in your student or work life in the LLC and EAS departments.
2. What diversity and equity in university spaces look like.
3. Multicultural and multilingual nature of the LLC and EAS departments.
4. Hidden cultural and ethnic biases of mainstream academic environments.
5. Raising awareness about difference and taking action for a fairer university.
1. Take a photo while in a class, working, studying, or participating in any activity in the LLC and/or EAS departments, at McGill, or around Montreal. Remember: If you are taking or submitting photos of your workplace, or that involve other people, make sure that you obtain the required permissions to take and submit the photos.
2. Shoot and save your images as JPEG.
3. Complete the form (download here or from the red button above) and send it with your photos (a maximum of 3 images may be submitted per participant) to . Write “Photo contest submission” as the subject heading for your email. All entries, with the completed entry form, must be received by October 24, 2019 at 5:00 PM (ET).
Extended Submission Deadline is October 24, 2019 at 5:00 PM (ET).
By submitting your photos, you grant us permission to exhibit them as part of our gallery on the day of the event and on this website.
1. Photographs must be submitted in digital format, at a high resolution.
2. Each file should be in JPEG format.
3. Each electronic image must be clearly labelled as follows: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_Category_PhotoTitle. For example, DOE_JANE_Undergraduate_Mydiversity.jpeg
A panel of judges will review all submissions and evaluate the photos based on the following criteria:
Creativity, composition, and technical quality.
How well the photo reflects the contest topic (diversity, equity, and inclusion inside and outside LLC and EAS as described in your caption)
All decisions are final, and winners will be announced on November 15, 2019 at the Exhibit and on this website.
You can win great prizes!
1. Grand prize winner plus one in each category: Undergraduate Students / Graduate Students / Faculty and Staff.
2. All photos will be part of our exhibit. Winning photos will be exhibited on the corridors of the LLC and EAS departments.